The realization that you could actually have a hearing loss is something none of us would be excited about. Sadly, our society has assigned a connotation that hearing loss means you are getting “old”. But really, hearing loss means you have been exposed to levels of sound throughout your life that has injured your hearing abilities. Hearing loss can happen in childhood, adolescence, adulthood and even in our senior years. Hearing loss knows no age, gender, ethnicity or occupation. And, with the right attitude and approach, hearing loss can be a condition that is controlled and manageable.
Fast forward from the 1950’s when hearing loss meant wearing a full-body hearing device, to 2018 when hearing aids offer Bluetooth capabilities, wireless technology, increased sound distinction features and so much more. Hearing loss is no longer something that holds us back!
Hearing Loss Facts
Did you know human hearing naturally performs best between the ages of 18 and 25? That is without the impact of hearing loss causes, such as headphones, environmental noises, industrial noises, etc. If you do confirm you are living with hearing loss, you are not alone. Over 750 million people around the world live with hearing loss daily. In fact, hearing loss is the third most prevalent health condition behind only arthritis and high blood pressure. The following are some factual statistics about hearing loss:
- 15% of children aged 6 to 19 suffer from hearing loss in some capacity
- Half a billion people around the world aged 20 to 65 suffer from hearing loss
- 1 in 3 people over age 60 suffer from hearing loss
- 2/3 of adults over age 70 suffer from hearing loss
- 4 in 5 people over age 85 suffer from hearing loss
Considering these statistics and the age ranges included, it is completely likely you could be living with some level of hearing loss.
Steps to Better Hearing Health
- It’s Time to Be Honest. Admit to yourself you could have a hearing loss, or at the very least, that your hearing may not be as good as it used to be. Coming to an understanding with yourself that you may need hearing help is difficult. However, the sooner you can accept this, the sooner you can begin to make hearing progress and find the right hearing solution for you. The sooner a hearing loss is detected and a plan can be made for a hearing loss solution, the more likely you will be to avoid critical speech comprehension loss and unnecessary struggles.
- Keeping It Real. From work to home life and even religion, attitude is everything. This is especially true with hearing loss. In order to have success in treating hearing loss, a positive attitude and a willingness to explore the right hearing loss solution for you is necessary. Every hearing loss is unique to that person. Working with an Audiologist (AuD) or National Board Certified Hearing Instrument Specialist (NBC-HIS) one-on-one will allow you to create the precise hearing loss solution to fit your specific hearing loss needs.
- Let’s Dig In To Hearing Loss. Do it right and get yourself educated. Get a friend or family member to get involved in your hearing loss as well. It’s that simple. The more you know, the more you can determine the right hearing loss solution (Physicians Hearing Solutions offers free Hearing Tests, free Audiology services and free hearing health counseling services) for your lifestyle. Try to find out what may have lead to your hearing loss. Choosing the right AuD or NBC-HIS will also help make your hearing loss solution experience more pleasant and accurate.
- Be Realistic About Hearing Aids. Expectations of hearing aids can vary. It is important to realize that by wearing hearing aids, your natural hearing abilities from your childhood will not just automatically come back overnight. Hearing aids work with the hearing abilities you have left, which is why it is so vital to take action with hearing loss as soon as it is noticed. Simply speaking, restoring perfect hearing is not realistic, even though hearing aid technology today has tremendous benefits. Your focus should really be on improving your hearing abilities with hearing aids at a slow, gradual pace as you adapt to wearing hearing aids, over time.
- I know, and we all hear (or do we?) it all the time….patience. As with any good thing, it requires patience. Change is challenging for many people. It brings us out from our comfort zones and can be uncomfortable and at times, alarming. When you start using your hearing aids, regaining comprehension abilities for sounds that have not been heard in years may be difficult. Keep with it. Don’t stop and don’t talk yourself out of it! To those with patience come great rewards and hearing loss is no different! The reward will be yours to eventually HEAR simple sounds, such as birds, a child’s voice, the whistle of trees in the wind, and so much more.
Are you ready to get started on your hearing loss solution journey? If you live in the Massachusetts or Rhode Island area, reach out to us! Our dedicated staff of Audiologists, NBC-HIS, ENTs and more are here waiting to help you get started.
Physicians Hearing Solutions is committed to working together to bring the most quality hearing healthcare to our patients in order to achieve our overall goal of improving all of our patients with an increased quality of life. To fulfill this mission, we are committed to earning the trust and respect of all of our patients, through providing professionalism; ensuring a creative, challenging and compassionate professional environment; exceeding your expectations; listening to those we are privileged to serve; and always striving for continuous improvements at all levels.